UPDATED MAY 2018 AFTER MOST RECENT CAPTURE
We’ve collected everything you need to know about the carp fishing, including potential record-breaker Captain Jack, at Holme Fen’s Meadows Lake in Cambridgeshire.
The fish, like the Avenue’s Big Rig that went before it, is sure to generate strong opinions, but here are the facts surrounding the venue and its stock.
1. Captain Jack's biggest weight came when it was caught at lunchtime on October 19, 2017, at 68lb 8oz.
2. However, a subsequent scales check revealed its true weight was 68lb.
3. Before that, its previous capture (at 68lb 5oz on one set of scales and 68lb 6oz on another) was on September 13, 2017, but the angler wished to remain anonymous and did not claim it as a record.
5. The official British record carp (as ratified by the British Record Fish Committee) remains Dean Fletcher’s capture of the Parrot at 68lb 1oz.
6. A far bigger carp weighing 83lb 4oz was caught from Wingham in Kent in November 2017, but no record claim has been submitted.
7. Nigel Ludbrook caught Captain Jack at 50yds out from the Beach Double swim.
8. Its previous capture a month earlier came 110yds out from the Lookout swim, towards the left-hand bush on the Party Point peg.
9. Mark Fossy caught the fish from the Last Resort peg in May 2018.
10. Holme Fen contains two lakes - Meadows and Poachers Pool. As of May 2018, Meadows contains four different 60-pounders.
11. The fish in Meadows were stocked by Fenland Fisheries.
12. They are of the Israeli Dor-70 strain and were imported into the country at 2-3lb and grown on.
13. Fenland now breeds these fish from scratch in the UK and supplies them to many waters.
14. Meadows Lake at Holme fen was stocked with 170 Fenland Fisheries carp in 2011.
15. 155 of the fish were under 23lb, while the remaining 15 weighed between 23lb and 39lb.
16. Captain Jack was one of two of the largest fish stocked around that top weight. The other fish died a year later after spawning.
17. All the fish are microchipped and can be scanned to chart their weight progress.
18. One Holme Fen fish was recorded as putting on 14lb in nine months.
19. Another added 27lb of bulk in just two years.
20. Captain Jack was caught at 41lb in August 2014. See video below:
21. He is a male fish and does not fluctuate wildly in weight.
22. He was caught about half a dozen times in 2016, four of those were in quick succession.
23. Captain Jack has put on weight each year the fishery has been open.
24. He first weighed over 60lb when Zack Barrett caught him at 60lb 2oz in spring 2016.
25. Meadows is 26 acres in size and has 18 swims.
26. It was a gravel pit excavated between 2001 and 2009.
27. PCF took control and stocked fish in 2011.
28. The fish were left to mature with two on-demand feeders until test fishing began in 2014.
29. Many star names have fished the venue including Rob Hughes and Iain Macmillan.
30. Tickets cost £40 for 24 hours, with a minimum stay of 48 hours.
31. For more details or to book a session visit www.holmefenfishery.co.uk